The Leading for Literacy Course consists of online coaching and consulting for teacher leaders, coaches, and administrators to guide teams in the effective implementation of Reading Apprenticeship at the district and/or school level. Our leadership services promote deepening classroom practice, support for planning and evaluation, and teacher leader development. For individual participants or groups.
Participants will learn to:
- Create communities of practice that sustain a student-centered culture of literacy
- Use formative assessment to promote teacher and student growth
- Cultivate literacy leadership
- Provide support for literacy across the disciplines
- Deepen Reading Apprenticeship classroom practices
Who should attend:
- Middle school, high school, and higher-ed educators of all subject areas
- Instructional coaches
- Prerequisite: Completion of a Phase 2 Reading Apprenticeship institute, seminar, or online course.
In this 15-hour, 12-week asynchronous online course, participants will advance at a similar pace but share their work and receive feedback on their own schedules.
This facilitated digital learning experience is designed to provide guidance and support for building strong inquiry communities to strengthen disciplinary literacy.
Course activities include professional reading, viewing classroom video, contributing to online discussions, and trying out protocols at your school. You must have access to a group of colleagues with whom you can try out what we are learning in the course.
The approximate amount of time you will need to devote to the course is 2.5 hours per two-week module. Participants should also set aside additional time during each two-week period to meet with their teams and apply what they are learning. Guidance and feedback are offered by colleagues in the course and by the facilitator who has extensive Reading Apprenticeship and coaching expertise.
The main course text, Leading for Literacy: A Reading Apprenticeship Approach, provides clear, on-the-ground guidance, tools, and examples for improving student reading across secondary schools and colleges.
|1||Setting the Social and Personal Foundations for Inquiry|
|2||Consulting with Colleagues|
|3||Looking Closely at Student Work|
|4||Building Pedagogical Knowledge|
|5||Observing in Colleague’s Classrooms|
|6||Inquiring into Teacher Practice|
- Operating Systems: Windows 7 (and newer), Mac OSX 10.6 (and newer), Linux – Chrome OS
- Computer Speed and Processor: Use a computer not more than 5 years old when possible, 1GB of RAM, 2GHz processor
- Internet Speed: Minimum of 512kbps
Location & Scheduling
2022 registration information coming soon! Sign up for our mailing list to get alerted.
Cost & Included Resources
- Registration fee: $900
- This service is also available as a private course scheduled at your convenience, for groups of 15 or more — please contact us for pricing and to set dates that work for your team
Included course materials:
- A copy of the course text, Leading for Literacy: A Reading Apprenticeship Approach
- A binder of professional readings
- Implementation materials
Refund policy: For individual registration sessions of this course, we offer full refunds up to two weeks prior to course start. Once the course begins, and up to seven calendar days thereafter, participants may withdraw for a 50% refund.
Federal funding: The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) recognizes four levels of evidence. The top three levels require findings of a statistically significant effect on improving student outcomes or other relevant outcomes. Based on the law’s definition, Reading Apprenticeship qualifies as a “strong” evidenced-based professional development model that states, districts and schools can utilize to advance their specific adolescent literacy initiatives. To support these efforts, state and local leaders can look to braid federal funding streams such as Title I, Title II-Part A and B, and Title III.
After participating in this Phase 2 Reading Apprenticeship professional learning opportunity, you will be able to participate in Phase 3 services.