The Reading Apprenticeship 101 Course is a facilitated asynchronous learning experience that provides a solid foundation in the Reading Apprenticeship Framework’s four dimensions of learning—social, personal, cognitive, and knowledge-building—and the development of these interacting dimensions through metacognitive conversation. The course explores Reading Apprenticeship’s impact on student motivation and achievement for all subject areas and levels.
Participants will learn to:
- Use the Reading Apprenticeship instructional framework to support deeper student learning
- Recognize and model for students the expert reading strategies required for disciplinary texts
- Build students’ willingness, capacity, and stamina for increased reading of complex college level texts
- Accelerate students’ subject-area learning and literacy, simultaneously
- Engage students in understanding their own thinking processes—metacognition
- Foster learning dispositions of persistence, problem-solving, and collaboration
- Use reading for writing development
- Step away from “delivering” content and move students towards independence
- Develop Reading Apprenticeship routines through shared insight and feedback and observing how other participants are implementing metacognitive routines in their classrooms
Who should attend:
- Higher-ed (university, college, community and technical college) instructors of all subject areas and levels, including transfer-level developmental, and career-technical courses
- Requirement: Must have access to your own or a “borrowed” in-person or online classroom for trying out Reading Apprenticeship routines over the seven week period of the course
Online 32-hour, 7-week course; optional CEUs available
This online course is designed to provide an introduction to the Reading Apprenticeship framework with practical classroom assignments to “make it real.” Course activities include professional reading, viewing classroom video, contributing to online discussions, trying out Reading Apprenticeship routines in your classroom, and completing a final paper.
The approximate amount of time you will need to devote to the course outside of the classroom is an average of five hours per week, after a two hour starter module. Guidance and feedback are offered by colleagues in the course and by the facilitator who has extensive Reading Apprenticeship and coaching expertise.
|1||Getting Started||2 hours|
|2||What Is Reading Apprenticeship?||5 hours|
|3||Social and Personal Dimensions of Reading Apprenticeship||5 hours|
|4||Practicing Metacognitive Conversation||5 hours|
|5||Metacognitive Conversation: Talking to the Text||5 hours|
|6||Apprenticing Readers in Your Discipline||5 hours|
|7||Synthesizing and Preparing to Implement Reading Apprenticeship||5 hours|
Location & Scheduling
|2021-09-13Sep 13–Oct 31, 2021||RA 101: Fall Session||Online||Sign up online|
Cost & Included Resources
- Registration fee: $750
- We offer the option to purchase and schedule a private session of this course — contact us for pricing and more information
CEUs will be available for an additional cost from California State University-Monterey Bay, College of Extended Education. Purchasing CEUs is completely optional, and not required for registration in the course. The CSUMB Reading Apprenticeship course catalog can be found here. CSUMB will open CEU registration a few weeks after the course has started. Check with your district office, as CEUs are not academic units.
Refund policy: We offer full refunds up to two weeks prior to course start. Once the course begins, and up to seven calendar days thereafter, participants may withdraw for a 50% refund.
After participating in this Phase 1 Reading Apprenticeship professional learning opportunity, you will be able to participate in Phase 2 services.